Pages

Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2010

SALT

On Friday, the 19th of February I went to Portland, Oregon to pick up my granddaughter  so she could spend some time with us.
I decided to go earlier and check out a few shops. What I was most interested in was a place called "At the Meadow" I was interested because of the article I read in Food and Wine Magazine. They supposedly have a huge collection of finishing salts. It wasn't the easiest location to find, but with GPS I found my way there. Of course, I was by myself and determined that I would find it and  I did find it and  had the time of my life!




They have quite the collection of finishing salts and also Himalayan Salt Blocks to cook on or present your food on.


I know that there are alot of people who have trouble with salt. You have to also remember that it's not just the salt that is the problem. It usually goes hand in hand with being over weight, not eating enough potassium producing fruits and vegetables. Also, when you eat a lot of processed foods you have no control over the salt you introduce into your system. So making food from scratch helps a lot in this category. Oh! Yeah I am all for that!
Well to be truthful, I did end up with two collections of finishing salt. I used some on the Paella Sunday night and it was a nice addition. The one I really liked is a Japanese salt with a plum flavor, it reminded me of Ume, which I love. I'm trying to come up with a way to use it.
I bought a Himalayan salt block and will try it out in a couple of weeks and let you know how it works and cooks the food.
This is what I learned from "At The Meadows".
Know the Basics
Finishing Salt - Distinctive salts that add something special when sprinkled on food. Some finishing salts can also be used as cooking salts.

A good finishing salt has unique mineral, moisture, and crystal qualities that play off your food to create more flavor, better texture, and new beauty.

Cooking Salt - Salt for roasting, brining, boiling water, & seasoning. Some cooking salts can also be used as finishing salts or curing salts.

A good cooking salt is rich in trace minerals, inexpensive, and contributes to environmental and cultural preservation.

Grinder Salt - Salt for use in salt mills as a finishing salt.

A good grinder salt has virtually zero moisture, is unrefined, and is high in minerals.

Pickling; Brining Salt - Salt added to water to preserve foods in brine, or added to water to hydrate and tenderize (mostly meats) in brine.

A good pickling or brining salt is naturally rich in minerals, unrefined, and made in an environmentally supportive way.

Curing Salt -Salts for curing meats, such as in the preparation of dry cured sausages or hams. These salts can include one or more of the following: potassium nitrite, potassium nitrite, sodium chloride.

A good curing salt depends on the cure, and it is important to follow curing recipes closely. Never eat a curing salt by itself.

So don't be afraid of salt, just use your judgement and be sure most of the food you eat is made from scratch!

No comments:

Post a Comment